What Are Programmable Thermostats?
Programmable thermostats can store six or more temperature settings a day that you can manually override without affecting the rest of the daily or weekly program.
Best of all, different thermostats come with a bunch of different features, including:
- Digital, backlit displays
- Touch pad screen programming
- Voice and/or phone programming
- Hold/Vacation features
- Indicators that tell you when it’s time to change air filters
- Indicators that signal malfunctioning of heating/cooling systems
- Adaptive Recovery/ Smart Recovery features — control features that sense the amount of time it will take to reach the next set-point temperature, and reach desired temperatures by the set time
If you have a manual thermostat, one way to save energy and money this winter is to install a programmable thermostat. You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply turning your thermostat back 7°to 10°F for 8 hours a day from its normal setting. You can do this automatically by using a programmable thermostat and scheduling the times you turn on the heating or air conditioning. As a result, the equipment doesn’t operate as much when you are asleep or not at home.
Before leaving for vacation, turn down your thermostat (or use a programmable one) so that you don’t waste natural resources by generating unneeded heating or cooling. You can also buy outdoor and indoor lights with timers so that lights don’t stay on all night.
The Benefits of Using a Programmable Thermostat
- Programmable thermostats are digital and can read and respond to indoor temperatures much more accurately
- Since you can program a programmable thermostat to provide less AC or Heat while you’re away at work, and get the house cool or warm again just before you get home, you can save a lot of energy over running the AC or Heat all day
- Programmable thermostats have bright, digital displays so you can check the temperature at a glance
- When installed and used with pre-programmed temperature settings for weekdays and weekends, you can save about $100 each year while staying comfortable
If you want to improve the efficiency of your HVAC system or if you’ve been having problems with your old mercury thermostat and are looking for an upgrade, contact us today for more information! We can help you choose the right one for you and your home!